Gesamtzahl der Seitenaufrufe

Samstag, 1. April 2017

Rust - Open sometimes forgotten doors

Hello lovely followers and visitors, welcome to April!
As usual at the first of the month I want to share with you my work for the brand new challenge at Country View Challenges!
This month it is my turn to host the challenge and I thought the theme "RUST" would be fun. 
Vintage, old and rusted things are very common and I love this look.
There are many possibilities to create faux rust on your projects with different mediums and colors and even salt, vinegar and cinnamon are cheap and easy ways to get rust.
There are also paint systems, gathered together for perfect rust look and several good commercial rusting products on the market.

I want to show you some ways to get rust or a rusty look on your projects, so you easily can make your own rusty project.

1. Real rust and patina with vinegar and salt:
You can find a whole bunch of recipes for this way of creating rust. Next day I took them out and left them to react with oxygen.
 I tried it out with some metal pieces of my stash. I mixed water with salt and vinegar and put all metal pieces in there.
 I put it outside and left it over night.
Here you can see, how the metal reacts.







 I repeated the steps two more times and this is what I got:


Well, some of the pieces are rusted really good, some didn´t. I think, some are more suitable than others, so it is a bit of try and error.

2.  Rust with Acrylic paint and cinnamon:
This is a very easy but effective way to create rust. You only need acrylic paint in brown, maybe in 
yellow and turquoise or blue and white, some gilding wax or metallic acrylic paint and of course 
cinnamon.

Paint some corrugated cardstock (I teared it into pieces for my project), cardstock or whatever you want with brown heavy body acrylic paint.


Paint the whole surface with a generous layer of paint

Now sprinkle into the still wet paint cinnamon.
By dabbing gently over it, you make it stick to the surface.
You also can mix it with your brush at some places with your acrylic paint using your brush. You will get a nice texture!

You can repeat the process, until you are satisfied with the result.
Very easy to do - and it smells good! :-)









To give your rusted project the final touch, drybrush some blue/green/turquoise paint and metallic wax on top.














3. Rust with ironpowder and oxidation medium:
There are many kits, sets and mediums out there on the market. I didn´t try them out, so I can´t tell you, which one would be the best.
I used the rust effect set from LaBlanche. You can find a good instruction video here


Paint a gessoed surface with acrylic paint and add rust powder and/or patina effect powder.








Sprinkle the activator (different colors) on top and leave it over night. It needs time to react.











These are the first three possibilities to create rust. If you come baack the next days I´ll show you some more!

And here is my project:


And some close ups:




I hope I could inspire you with my "rusty door-part" and you will join in with our challenge this month!
Thank you for your visit! 
Have a nice weekend.

I want to join in the following challenges:

32 Kommentare:

  1. Fabulous project Evelyn! I love how you created a door out of nothing and the step by step taught me lots. (cinnamon, who knew...).Enjoy your weekend!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Fabulous techniques and project Evelyn, this is a great post and challenge xxx

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I love your door Evelyn and your post has taught me loads! I need to try out the cinnamon trick it has to smell better than the vinegar that I used lol. Have a fun weekend. Sue xx

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. You have certainly inspired me Evelyn. Great techniques to try and your finished piece is wonderful. Xx

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Such an informative blog post - thank you for sharing the different techniques. I love your project....

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Informative blog post ( used the cinnamon one before , also threw in some turmeric and paprika :) ) and fantastic project with some incredible effects and texture .
    Thanks for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey x

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Now I see that your an expert of rusting techniques, Evelyn!!! Great theme!!! And your project looks amazingly rusty! Big hugs

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Brilliant project and thanks so very much for sharing all those techniques. They all look wonderful. Hugs rachel x

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Thanks for sharing your excellent tutorials, and wonderful photos. your rusting techniques and all. I will love to follow you and put a link to my blog, i love your visit to when you have time.

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Great idea with rust. Excellent tutorial. Like your project too.

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. Fabulous rusting and thank you for the tutorial - brilliant. Thank you for sharing with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

    Handcrafted by Ellapu
    Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
    Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
    DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. I echo my previous comment but with my Altered Eclectic DT hat on.
    Thank you for sharing with us over at Altered Eclectics this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

    Handcrafted by Ellapu
    Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
    Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
    DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. A totally awesome piece of art..such good effects. A good blog post too, very informative thank you.
    Thank you Evelyn for re-entering our challenge at Rhedd's Creative Spirit...

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. Wonderful door Evelyn with great Rusty textures. Did you use several methods for this project? Looks so realistic. Love it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. c'est génial ,merci pour ces explications de ta superbe rouille qui en plus est parfumé c'est un superbe projet merci de ta participation a notre challenge Sandee & Amelie's à bientôt Nate

    AntwortenLöschen
  16. Wow Evelyn you really did embrace your rust theme...great ideas and techniques and your finished tag is brilliant x

    AntwortenLöschen
  17. I could not love this any more! Amazing rusty texture & colors! Hugs, Autumn

    AntwortenLöschen
  18. Liebe Evelyn, hab ganz lieben Dank für die Tipps zum Rosten. Wenn ich mir überlege, wieviel Geld ich für diese Technik ausgegeben habe ... dabei ist es so einfach.

    Dein Tag ist brilliant genial. Gefällt mir sehr gut.

    AntwortenLöschen
  19. I love this to pieces! The addition of the patina green is AMAZING and brings the piece to life. Gorgeousness! Hugs, Autumn

    AntwortenLöschen
  20. Einfach gigantisch, liebe Evelyn!
    Rost, wie man ihn sich nicht schöner vorstellen kann...dann noch Wellpappe dazu, die ich so mag...und deine Komposition - einfach mega!
    Danke, dass du dieses Hammerteilchen mit uns auf SASPC teilst!

    Liebe Grüße,
    Claudia xx

    AntwortenLöschen
  21. WOW! Great techniques for achieving rust. I'm going to try using cinnamon. =) I love how this turned out.

    AntwortenLöschen
  22. Spannend, die Zimtmethode kannte ich noch nicht, vielen Dank, super Idee und ein klasse Projekt ist daraus enstanden, wunderbar!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  23. wow wow wow amazing project thanks for joining us at Berry71 - thanks for the idea of the rusting x

    AntwortenLöschen
  24. What a fabulous piece! Thank you for joining in with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit Challenge this April.

    AntwortenLöschen
  25. Brilliant rusting again, Evelyn - you've definitely run with the theme this month and created some glorious work. Thanks for sharing.
    Alison x

    AntwortenLöschen
  26. Gorgeous project. Love all the effort that went in to creating the rust. Brilliant results.
    Thanks for joining us at Altered Eclectics.
    Lisa - Altered Eclectics DT.

    AntwortenLöschen
  27. This is awesome Evelyn !!, I love the textures, the colors ... fabulous !!
    Thank you for joining us at Crafty Life Challenges !! :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  28. Fabulous! Love the rusty effect! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Life Challenges!

    AntwortenLöschen
  29. Liebe Evelyn. Erstens Herzlichen Dank für Deine Teilname an denn Berry71Blue April Challenge. Geniale Idee von wie mann selber Rost machen kann. Liebe die Struktur und Farben von Deinen Tag.

    AntwortenLöschen
  30. Such a stunning project and love the rust results! I love those Pentart rust products...they really are super! ;-) Thanks ever so much for playing along with us at Berry71Bleu this month! ;-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  31. Evelyn, I'm so sorry to be late! April and May kind of got away from me in blogland! But I was happy to see this was a winner at SASPC, and had to come congratulate you! What a treat for me to see all this amazing rust! Thank you for your wonderful step by step! Pinning this! Hugs!

    AntwortenLöschen